Friday, November 19, 2010

"Just Around the Riverbend!!"

Location: Gray Summit, MO


Yes... yes I am still alive! I'm sorry it has been so long. The past few weeks have been INSANE. First off, I am an OFFICIAL AmeriCorps NCCC member. We had induction last Friday, where we took our "vows" to be the best member we could be... "We are AmeriCorps members, and we will GET THINGS DONE". Yes. With the emphasis on the last part.


 It is hard to believe that CTI is over and that I am actually here in Gray Summit. Our long car trip started last Saturday, when we said goodbye to our Water Unit family and the rest of the corps, climbed into our two pickup trucks and headed out on our crazy car adventure back to the Midwest. Very much Deja Vu from earlier this year when my mom and I drove cross country from Kansas City. The car ride itself wasn't too bad. We had to stop every 2 hours (due to the rules) and change drivers. So the constant change and stretch breaks made the three people crammed in the backseat bearable. It was definitely a good way to get to know our team... drooling on each other and playing endless games of "Would You Rather?". 


Finally on Sunday around 3:30- 4 pm we rolled into Gray Summit. ... Nothing like what we expected. There isn't a whole lot here. But, we are staying in a Travelodge hotel  (SO NICE... continental breakfast every morning? Heck yes!) and our work place, Shaw Nature Reserve, is right across the street. Our sponsors are so nice too. The other day they invited us to a birthday party for everyone who had birthday's the past month. The funny thing is that they knew no one was going to be there, who had the birthday, but they threw it anyway to give us an opportunity to eat cake and ice cream! Delicious!! 


The nature reserve is beautiful. Every day feels like a scene in Pocahontas. It is right on the Mermac River, with plenty of hiking trails down to the river and through the woods. I am truly grateful that I get to spend 9-10 hours a day outside exploring. Which now brings me to answer the question "What exactly are you doing?". Well, now that I finally know, at least for now, I will tell you! ... Drum roll please?.... 


Seed collecting! And invasive species removal... which includes playing with chain saws (no injuries yet!). We spend our mornings cutting down Honey Suckle and Privot bushes aka huge trees, and applying herbicide to the stems so they don't grow back. And in the afternoon we collect various types of prairie seeds to help with the regrowth of the reservation. It is very Zen. And nice for alone time. We have gotten pretty darn good at collecting seeds. One afternoon we collected over 20 lbs of Big Blue grass seed. Which, if you couldn't tell, is A LOT of seed. The projects have been fun, and it is a great way to spend the day... much better than being in a cubicle, but I can see it getting fairly monotonous in a week or so. However my team will help me keep going strong, and the reserve will hopefully be much better than it was before we got there. 

...I think that is all for now! I will hopefully update sooner, now that I found someone who has the same power cable as I do so that I can actually charge my computer. I hope everyone is well!


Love,
Kris

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh. Can you imagine us stopping every 2 hours on our Phoenix trip?? hahaha

    ReplyDelete